How to Grow
Preparation of Soil
- Soil- Well-drained, light to medium soils are suitable.
- And is to be thoroughly ploughed. Small size graded channel cum bund could be of use for conservation of soil moisture.
- Rabi: september/october under rainfed conditions early around the middle of september is the ideal time for planting. if soil moisture is available planting can be extended upto the first week of october. compaction of soil immediately after sowing will help in proper emergence and establishment of seedlings.
- Seed Rate :3 kg/acre
- Sowing Time – June-July (onset of monsoon) for Kharif and October-November for Rabi.
- Spacing: 45 cms x 15 cms
- During the last plough four tons FYM/acre can be applied.
- 20 kg N, 15 kg O2 P5 and 12 kg K2 O/ acre as basal dose and 15 kg N/acre as top dressing at 20-30 days after sowing.
- Under irrigation fertiliser dose can be increased to 80N and 40 P kg/ha. N should be applied in two splits, 50% at sowing and 50% as top dose at 30 days after sowing.
- If Zn deficiency is observed on standing crop spray ZnSo4 0.2% (2g/lit) twice or thrice at weekly intervals.
- For successful crop, even under rainfed condition, one irrigation on 45 days after sowing is essential.
- For irrigated crop, weekly irrigation for light soils and once in 15 days for heavy black cotton soils is recommended.
- Irrigation at flowering and grain filling stage is essential for a better harvest.
Furrowing as part of intercultural operation implemented on contour contributes directly towards 15% increase in the case of high yielding varieties. Application of atrazine @ 0.5 kg a.i/ha on 2nd or 3rd. after sowing followed by hand weeding around 20 days age is enough to keep the crop weed free.Weedicide spray should be done when there is moisture in the soil.
Stem borer: Apply lindane 6G granules on leaf whorls at 1.5kg/ha or spray endosulfan 35 EC (1000-1250ml). Earhead pests: Dust malathion 5% dust. Midge on earhead: Dust carbaryl 5%. Mites: Dust sulphur @ 25 kg/ha or spray 2.5 kg wettable sulphur ( 3g/lit) or kelthane 5ml/lit (500ml).
Grain smut, Loose smut and Head smut: Treat seed with sulphur at 5g, thiram, or captan@ 4g/kg. Downy mildew: Treat seed with thiram @ 4g/kg of seed. Spray mancozeb (3g/lit). Use resistant varieties like CSH-1 and CSH-5.
Harvesting, Storage and Drying
- Earheads.should be harvested when the grain is ripe and dried in the layers
- Earheads Should not be heaped to avoid the loss of seed viability.
- Threshing may be done with mechanical threshers. Otherwise stone roller threshing or cattle threshing may be done
- The grain should be stored in airtight containers like seed bins.
- Grain should be dried thoroughly before storing. Periodical drying of grain once a month will control the store grain pests like weevils.